Sunday 14 August 2011

The Pigs Started It


I'm just discovering the wonderful Blue Scholars and their second album Bayani.   Sabzi's beats are perfect, low-key and subtle, and rapper Geologic has a consistently smooth and even cadence.  Check it out; the lyrics are powerful and often political.

Some choice selections from this song (50 Thousand Deep, about the Seattle WTO riots):

I admit, had to split when the first gas canisters hit / Felt it burn in my eyes, nose, and lips.
Let's just highlight the emphasized syllables to get the feel of Geologic's flow. I admit, had to split when the first gas canisters hit / Felt it burn in my eyes, nose, and lips.
The 'it' end-rhyme falls regularly on the last syllable of each anapaest in the first line, and what would be a fairly quotidian rhythm is broken up by the addition of a spondee - 'gas canisters' - that emphasizes the violence involved.  The next lines are almost as good: 
They tried to blame it on the anarchists, garbage / I was there, I'll tell you right now the pigs started it.

No comments:

Post a Comment